ODPOWIEDZI NA WASZE PYTANIA
SWMS Elements More Info
The elements of a SWMS (safe work method statement) must:
Identify the work task or activity that is high risk construction work.
Identify the hazards relating to the high risk construction work and risks to health and safety associated with those hazards identified.
Specify the measures to be implemented for controlling the risk per risk controls hierarchy.
Explain how control measures will be implemented, monitored and reviewed to minimise risk.
SWMS Duty of Care
Legislation for workplace health and safety requires a person conducting a business or undertaking who is carrying out high risk work at a construction workplace to:
Ensure a safe work method statement (SWMS) is prepared before the proposed high risk construction work commences.
Have supervisory arrangements in place to ensure the high risk construction work is undertaken as per the SWMS.
Provide a principal contractor with a copy of the SWMS commencing the work task.
Review, amend and reissue the SWMS should the work procedures change.
Retain a copy of the SWMS until the high risk construction work is completed.
What is SWMS?
What is SWMS More Info
What is SWMS used for?
An SWMS is an administrative control intended to support higher order controls per the hierarchy of hazard controls in eliminating or minimising the risk to health and safety, e.g. engineering controls.
- High risk construction work SWMS for a work task may incorporate several high risk activities, e.g. work at heights, operation of powered mobile plant and disturbing asbestos.
To reduce the risk of significant harm each of the high risk construction work activities must have:
- Job hazard analysis to identify the hazards
- Risk assessed per the hierarchy of controls
- Develop risk controls to reduce the risk to health and safety
- Monitor and review implemented control measures and residual risks.
Safe work method statement purpose is to promote positive safety behaviour in the workplace between all duty holders.
Responsibility for health and safety in the workplace is everyone's responsibility, and it starts with an effective WHS communication method, e.g. work health and safety consultation cooperation and coordination.
Remove the barriers to effective WHS consultation and participation through the implementation of:
- Consultation with employees
- Toolbox talks
- Safety messages for the workplace.
SWMS Compliance More Info
Compliance with WHS Legislation
Electrical SWMS comply with health and safety legislation, and safe work method statement legislative and regulatory requirements.
- SWMS authored by Workplace Safety.
Changes to WHS legislation are always occurring, so a safe work method statement review by Workplace Health and Safety shall assist with compliance with WHS laws.
WHS SWMS set out the work activities in a logical sequence with the:
- Hazards identified per hazard identification process
- Level of risk assessed per risk matrix to determine probability and severity
- Control measures per hierarchy of controls, e.g. engineering controls and personal protective equipment
- Risk control measures implementation plan for controlling the risk.